Independent Schools at a Glance 2019
Independent schools in Australia.
The median fee of an Australian Independent school.
Average Australian Government recurrent funding per school student:
- Independent school: $9,350
- Catholic school: $11,180
- Government school: $17,530.
Students with Disability: 115,862**
The number of students with disability (SWD) enrolled in Independent schools. SWD enrolments in Independent schools have historically increased by 10% per year.
Indigenous Students: 13,483
The number of Indigenous students enrolled in 887 Independent schools.
- 38 Independent schools have an Indigenous enrolment of more than 50%
- Independent schools are Australia’s largest provider of boarding schools for Indigenous students.
Attending Independent schools in Australia.
Savings to Govt: $4.5 billion
The additional recurrent funding cost to governments if every Independent school student moved to the government school system.
Contribution to the Economy:
Australian Independent schools employ 91,000 staff, annually contributing:
- Salaries and wages of $6.7 billion
- PAYG tax of $1.5 billion
- Superannuation contributions of $675 million.
Capital Funding: 90%
The average percentage of capital funding for Independent schools that comes from parents and communities.